Touch Panel Templates
Project Role: Product Owner
This product is intended for A/V integrators who are highly skilled at configuring audio visual systems. These integrators are not trained in graphic or interaction design - which is why Extron provides templates as a base for their touch panel projects.
Extron manufactures A/V equipment, but does not install equipment for the end users. Touch panel templates provide our integrators or third party installers the opportunity to have a starting point for common projects such as setting up a touch panel for video conference use.
- Provide a more contextual experience for the end-users (for whom the integrators create touch panel designs).
- Mimic workflow patterns from other similar experiences to instill confidence in end-users.
- Recommend an activity-based approach rather than an all inclusive design.
- Provide an easy way to apply co-branding for the integrators.
- Provide an updated and modern appearance consistent with popular mobile devices.
I ran a baseline test on the current templates to understand how end users approached this type of design. I studied competitor products, and similar technology to understand the user's expectations regarding these types of products. I also interviewed the integrators to see how we could improve the template experience for them. I ran several more usability studies to evaluate the effectiveness of new concepts, new workflows, and impressions regarding the updated appearance.
- Multiple usability tests
- Wireframing and Prototyping
- Stakeholder interviews, and observation
The new designs will be tested internally and released later in 2018.